Thursday, January 28, 2010

THE STATE OF THE UNION REQUIRES A NEW MATURITY

I was on the phone to my wife last night--who is in Kentucky babysitting our grandson Jake. As such, I didn't get the television turned on to the State of the Union address until it was underway several minutes. I came in just as Mr. Obama had completed a joke. I even missed the punch line. It must have been bipartisan humor as the first camera angle took us to Congressman John Boehner (R-Ohio) who has laughing heartily, then back to Nancy Pelosi (D-California) who was bouncing to her feet applauding. To be honest, I take State of the Union messages with a grain of salt. They are filled with plans and platitudes that make great sound bytes but soon meet the gridlock of Congress and the backroom activity of the special interest groups and lobbyists, who hope to reshape any idea into their own image.

I suspect this sounds a bit cynical, or at least jaded. Unfortunately, I am one of growing number of Americans who are tired of failed promises and political posturing that leads us in circles -- that doesn't really lead us anywhere, except back to where we have been and "another day older and deeper in debt." (Are some of you old enough to remember Tennessee Ernie Ford's classic Sixteen Tons?)

One of things that we should have learned from last week's election in Massachusetts is that there is growing group in America, which may have reached majority status. They steadfastly refuse to be in lock step support of either Democrats or Republicans. They are called the Independent voters. The State of the Union is in such a state that we need all Americans to work together for the common good. This does not mean the common good as defined by a political party or ideology. This means a common good the seeks to maturely accept the interdependence of Americans instead of having so many Americans continue to declare their independence.

Later today I will read the text of this particular message to see if Mr. Obama understands the common good as President of all the people, not just as a Democratic office holder. And I will read the responses to see the Republican leadership is really committed to the common good. And to see if the Democrats have figured it out as well.

In the meantime - "Go Colts!" Peyton Manning for President!

1 comment:

  1. I like to see if they are just blaming the other party all the time or, as you say, pursuing the common good.

    I like to think that I am independent, but I could be dreaming. I like Scott Brown. To be honest, I like Obama too. Not always the policies :-) but the man. I think (hope) he will (continue to?) move center.

    I think you are right - independants are more important that ever. Unfortunately Washington (both parties equally) still have not gotten that message.

    ReplyDelete