Monday, October 11, 2010

MONDAY MORNING REFLECTIONS - BLOG STATS, DIVISIONAL PLAYOFFS AND GOD'S ENCOURAGEMENT TO US

Recently Blogger made it a whole lot easier for me to see my daily blog stats. I love stats! (Maybe that's why I loved baseball ... it is the most statistically obsessed of any major sport).  When I started to write LIFE MATTERS, I did not set out to be a sports blog but based on readership, that's what I am/ (This is cross-posted on Wordpress and they even identify me as a sports blog). With the exception of "Selective Attention Test", these are the top blogs by views:

"Fantasy Baseball"
Miscellaneous posts of "Monday Morning Reflections" 
(these always include at least one sports item)
Golf Redux"
"Disabled List"
"Would Jesus Play Baseball?"

I write about sports because I like it, but I make no apologies.  I write about sports so that some of you will come this blog and read about life and faith and Jesus Christ.  It appears to be happening. Thank you.

The Divisional Playoffs are underway.  Any predictions, any surprises.  Well, the surprise is that Roy Halladay pitched only the second no-hitter in post season history. Before all this began my prediction was that the Phillies and the Giants would meet in the Division Championship, with Phillies heading once again to the World Series. The Rays and the Twins in the AL, with the Twins heading to the series - with Phillies winning.


Josh Hamilton - AL MVP?
Joey Votto for NL MVP
In the spirit of the sports blog this seems to be lately, let me project my two choices for MVP.  Josh Hamilton of the Texas Rangers is my AL choice. Strong cases for Miguel Cabrerra and Robinson Cano but Hamilton carried his team throughout a long tough season, despite his own injuries and his team is in the playoffs for the first time in 20 years.  Joey Votto has pretty much the same credentials for NL MVP getting the surprising Cincinnati Reds into the playoffs as well.

Now onto to more eternal matters.  One of the reasons that I am a Christian is that God and His people provide encouragement in this difficult world.  Here are some of the verses from God's Word that provide me daily hope and strength, peace and joy.

"Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation, the old has gone, the new has come." - 2 Corinthians 5.17

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him." - John 3.16-17

"You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly ... But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." - Romans 5:6,8

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." - Romans 8:28


No comments:

Post a Comment