Thursday, December 8, 2011

WAYNE BOYER

A treasured friend of mine and fellow pastor, Wayne Boyer, went home to be with the Lord a few days ago. Another friend of mine, Bill Sloat blogged a tribute to him that I am reposting here for broader distribution of the tribute. - Steve



Cancer stinks.

I've smelled the stench in a more up-close-and-personal way than I ever wanted to.

Since her diagnosis, Evelyn has had the joy of walking the cancer road with three people she regarded as friends before cancer came into their lives. It's a road you don't want to walk on without human companionship. On Tuesday, Wayne became the last of those three 'cancer buddies' to come to the end of the journey.

The cancer road is such a strange one. Though he'd been on it long before Evelyn, she endured a particularly harsh chemo drug before Wayne was put on it. So, she was able to describe for Wayne its horrid effects before he experienced them. And, we were able to understand what he went through during those treatments and to appreciate the faith, the grace and the courage with which he embraced that incredible suffering.

Not long ago, I could not get Wayne out of my mind and so, as I was driving, I phoned him. From the instant he answered, I could hear the smile in his voice. I actually heard his laughter as he told me that he knew that the cutting-edge drug he was on was not working and that he knew that it would not extend his life and that that was okay. He talked about the joy he still felt in the Lord's salvation. He expressed his only real regret that Kay would be left alone. When we hung up, it was with laughter and a naive, "Talk to you later."

Two days after that, the final onslaught overwhelmed him and he was rushed to the hospital.

Cancer killed Wayne. It did not beat him.

Wayne followed Jesus. He set his heart on living out obedience to the greatest of all the commands in the Law: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength."

Thanks, Wayne, for letting me see that.

Talk to you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment