Tuesday, January 5, 2016

MONDAY MORNING REFLECTIONS - THE TYRANNY OF THE TRIVIAL

BY STEVE DUNN

I am a person who generally shuns New Year's Resolutions.  They tend to be more exercises in wishful thinking than commitments to life change.  Long lists of resolutions are the worst because they clutter our minds and overwhelm us in options that quickly reduce us to inaction.

If I were going to make a resolution, however, this would be it: that I never get so consumed with the trivial that I miss the beautiful and that which is eternal.  As I enter the year of my 65th birthday, I find myself too often consumed with the trivial.  My time, energy and attention can be exhausted so much with that which does not bear fruit--like one more TV show or playing more game on my Kindle or checking the morning weather report or deciding what to take out of the refrigerator to snack on or worrying over that which I cannot control of asking why about questions that really have no answer.

I wonder how many sunsets I miss or God-sightings I do not see.  I wonder how many opportunities to love my neighbor that are never spotted on my radar.  I wonder how many times I experience love that I simply take for granted.  

I wonder how often I get angry over anthills instead of helping move mountains.  I wonder how much of my prayers are about what I want instead of thanking God for what He has done for me.

I wonder.

In 2016 my prayer is that I will break free of the tyranny of the trivial and enjoy the beauty of the eternal.

" Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you." - Philippians 4.8-9


© 2016 by Stephen L. Dunn.  You have permission to reprint this provided it is unchanged, proper authorship is cited, it is in a publication not for sale, and a link is provided to this site or to www.drstevedunn.com. For all other uses, contact Steve at sdunnpastor@gmail.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment