Tuesday, June 7, 2016

THE HARDEST LESSON

From time to time I read a blog post that I believe speaks particularly well to the vision and mission of this blog LIFE MATTERS.  Recently Sharon Hodde Miller, a North Carolina pastor's wife who blogs as SHE WORSHIPS talked about the challenge of death and suffering from contemporary people.  I pass it along to you.

 
The Hardest Lesson-3
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.
2 Cor. 1:3-4
One summer while I was in seminary, I interned at a hospital as a chaplain. Looking back, I have no idea why I thought it was a good idea, because I can’t handle blood. Not even a little. I still close my eyes when the Beast gets shot in Beauty and the Beast. Forget about The Walking Dead. If there’s blood, I’m out.
 
So of course, I took a job working in an emergency room.

My first day at the hospital, I had to sit in a hallway with my head between my knees. The queasiness did get better with time, but during that summer I witnessed things I will never forget. I also learned something I’ll never forget.

When you work in a hospital, you understand something most people don’t. It’s a truth we all know on a head level, but most of us don’t really get, which is this: people die every day. Every single day, someone dies. Lots of people, in fact.

As a 24 year-old, that seemed so strange to me.

It seemed strange to me because I live in a culture that shelters people from death. Death happens in hospitals or on far off battlefields, which makes death easy to avoid. When we do encounter death–especially at a younger age–it feels strange and rare. Kind of like, how could this possibly happen? But in a hospital death is common. It isn’t rare at all.

Throughout that summer I came to realize, with new clarity, that death is a part of life. 

This realization was further cemented when I traveled to Haiti that same year. While there, I walked the halls of a hospital and sat next to children with the bony limbs and orange-tinted hair of malnutrition. I met mothers who had lost multiple children to easily preventable illnesses.

Everywhere I went, death seemed nearer than it had in the U.S. In Haiti, death seemed like it was much more a part of life.

No matter where you live, or where you work, death and suffering is painful. It will always feel wrong and unnatural, because in some sense it is–suffering is a sign of the Fall. But I also wonder if the communities where death is accepted as a part of life, are better prepared for it. I wonder if they have a more familiar language for processing it, a clearer path for walking it, and a better equipped support system to carry one another through it.

I wonder if our culture, on the other hand, makes us especially unprepared for suffering.
Consider your own reflexes. When you come to the Psalms about suffering, do you speed through them? Let’s skip to the parts about God’s love and mercy, right? Or how do you respond to stories of tragedy on Facebook? Do you silently thank God it didn’t happen to you, say a quick prayer, then keep on scrolling because it’s too uncomfortable to entertain anything deeper?

I think a lot of us do this as a way of distancing ourselves from suffering. We don’t want it getting too close. But here’s what I have learned from the communities where death is treated as a part of life: suffering is something we should study. Some of the greatest teachers around us are the ones who have suffered.

The people we are most likely to keep at arm’s length–the one’s whose suffering we don’t want to get on us–are the one’s we should be listening to most.
***
Last week, I sat in a pew at my cousin’s funeral. He was 38. He left behind three very young children. I looked over at his wife, and a feeling of wrongness settled on my shoulders like a heavy weight. How could this happen, in MY family?

One of the terrible shocks of suffering is the alienation of it. There is a sensation that no one understands how I feel. This hasn’t happened to anyone else. Satan compounds grief with isolation, and he does it by twisting the truth. On the one hand it’s true, every experience of suffering is different. On the other hand, we are not left alone without help. Or a road map.  READ THE REST OF THIS POST

No comments:

Post a Comment