Monday, December 10, 2018

MONDAY MORNING REFLECTIONS: IS IT WORTH IT?

BY STEVE DUNN


Sitting in my warm office on a very cold Monday afternoon.  My office is located in a very large church but in an area which during the weekdays sees little traffic.  So it's also very quiet.  I arrived at work around seven this morning. Except for a brief lunch of tomato soup and an Ann Hillerman mystery, I have been working non-stop.  Working so diligently and productively that most of my "to do" list is done.

Until recently, not many of my days reached this point.  Like so many other Americans and religious professionals, I always seem to be working on something.  And when you reach the end of the day's work, there is sometimes a difficult existential moment when you wonder whether or not you should go in search of more work to do.  You certainly don't want to be guilty of becoming "lazy."

I have met a lot of undisciplined people, but not a ton of lazy ones.  I meet a whole lot of driven people, pursuing agendas that will never be accomplished, seeking to possess more and more things which will be obsolete or reduced to clutter far too quickly.  Often we use this driven spirit to avoid reflecting on what really matters or "pursuing" it.

What's the "it?"  A relationship with the Living God, a connection with the One who sees us as more valuable than we see ourselves.  The One who says, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest."  The One for whom the holiday we are about to celebrate gets it its name - Jesus Christ.

He's the One who warns us, "And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul?"  

Is your life too busy or are you too driven to cultivate that relationship?  For your sake and the sake of those who you influence or provide for, I hope that's not true.




No comments:

Post a Comment