Sunday, April 26, 2009

IT'S THE ECONOMY, STUPID!

In 1992 Bill Clinton ran against sitting President, George H. Bush. As in all elections, the candidates postured to have particular issues define the race. Out of that particular election came a memorable expression that seems to define what's on the minds of people in 2009. "It's the economy, stupid!"

Our economy has been in turmoil now for almost a year. Even ordinary people watch the ups and downs of the Dow Jones average. People struggle to keep homes and pay utility bills and worry whether or not they will have a job tomorrow. Others know they will not have a job tomorrow and live under the dark cloud of a larger economy that seems to be trashing their personal economy. Cars go unrepaired, medicines unpurchased, vacations untaken.

When the economy is bad, people have great difficulty in generating enthusiasm for anything that they cannot control or that might cost them more they than desire. Churches can suffer from this. Maintenance becomes more important than vision. Taking care of ourselves supplants the needs of our neighbor. Generosity becomes optional. The desire for caution sometimes borders on the absurd. The possibilities of human ability define ministry. No need to expect God to do the impossible.

That's why people who choose to live by faith can have such a powerful witness. When the priests carrying the ark stepped into the swollen waters of the Jordan, God rolled back the waters to let them enter the Promised Land. People of faith show what God can do even in a bad economy, Their generosity reminds their neighbor that sacrifice is still a core value. Their outward focus still shows that love never fails. Their concern for others reverses the "every man for himself" tide that swells up and drowns the weak and helpless.

Even a tough economy is a catalyst for powerful ministry, when Christians live by the faith they profess.

2 comments:

  1. from Lisa--I am encouraged by this because I so often hear that I am unrealistic and foolish to continue in 2 part-time jobs with no benefits. How can I possibly expect to help support my family when I make only $700-800 a month, and Joe has left his job to care for Pop? Are we crazy, or do we just expect everyone else to take care of us? I'm told we're both wasting good educations. If I had remained a school counselor, I'd be making over $50,000 alone and have health benefits for my family.

    All I can say is we are both hearing loud and clear from God that he wants us where we are doing what we are doing. We have trusted that no matter how bad our"economy" gets, God will get us through. Any time I start doubting and looking at better options to support my family, God finds ways to show me loud and clear that what He wants is the only thing that will fulfill me.
    So wouldn't it be devastating for me to "go under" financially? Yes, I think I would probably be miserable. But at the same time, I think it helps focus me on what really matters--my family, God, and helping others to know Jesus as savior. And it helps me to truly depend on God and trust in Him. I don't know what will come of this, but I know that God loves me, and He wants me to do what I am to reflect His love to others. I am trusting that He will provide enough to keep us doing what He wants us to do. Hey, sometimes I even expect Him to provide in amazing and unexpected ways, and you know what, He does.
    Am I strong in faith or just foolish and irresponsible? I don't know. Sometimes I question myself. All I know is I have to do what God is leading me to do no matter what the cost, or my life will not have meaning. I choose meaning over money. I choose to serve people even when people say I am crazy. Even when I think I am crazy. So far I feel the rewards in how I can impact lives for Christ are beyond my expectations. I can't wait to see what He will do next!!! Lisa Kilgore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, through history the willingness of even a few to choose the work of God over material gain and comfort has provided fertile ground for God to do some pretty incredible work. "You cannot serve God and money" were Jesus' words to this effect, and I really respond to your comment "I choose meaning over money."

    ReplyDelete