Wednesday, April 15, 2009

FANTASY BASEBALL

I love the game of baseball. I revel in its lengthy season. I delight in its strategies and its statistics. I learn the names of players. I even remember who among my friends roots for what team. I gladly go to a baseball game--whether it is our minor league Lancaster Barnstormers or the Philapdelphia Phillies, my close at hand major league favorite. I will travel to an ENEMY ballpark to see my beloved Detroit Tigers.

This year I took the plunge and began playing MLB Fantasy Baseball. I am the manager of the Landisville Sluggers--undefeated and in a tie for 1st in the East. Fantasy baseball is all about statistics. The only strategy here is reading the trends and developments and posting a line-up with the potential to generate the highest stats over a seven day period. This is the sporting world's equivalent of playing the stock market except your portfolio is totally imaginary. An interesting side effect is you begin to root for more than one team, so its players on your roster can gain the success you need to succeed. This is the sporting world's equivalent of globalization. Interdependence is the key to success in fantasy baseball.

Attention to detail, being aware of what's going on now in the world (in this case the sporting world), embracing interdependence, taking joy in the process - these are values that have great signifiance as they become our personal modus operandi (mode of operation to those of you with no Latin). Maybe we all can learn a little something from fantasy baseball.



1 comment:

  1. from Lisa--I can relate because Joe plays fantasy football and now even cheers for Eagles' players (he is a die-hard Cowboys fan). I used to think he was being unfaithful to his team, but then I eventually realized that even more than he loves the Dallas Cowboys, he loves FOOTBALL. The game, the atmosphere, the stats, just everything that has to do with football.
    I think this is similar to being kingdom-focused in our love of Christ. We all have different churches we attend and love. But sometimes we will see someone from another church really doing something good--something so good we can just SEE God in it. And that's when we need to route for that player from another church--just like we root for another team's player who is doing something really good for the overall game of football (or baseball). I think it is really important to be alert and watch for these people and take a little time to support and encourage what they are doing for God's kingdom, not just "my church".

    ReplyDelete