Friday, June 26, 2009

SHOULD PASTORS BE INVOLVED IN POLITICS?

My last posting on the health care debate prompted two very passionate and somewhat critical comments from a blogger identified as Phillies Fan. (Although I am a longsuffering and dedicated fan of the Detroit Tigers, Phillies fans' are my second favorite baseball fan group--perhaps because they, too, understand what it means to be long-suffering).

The discussion raised a question that many people within the church and out in the larger culture carry around - how involved should pastors be in the political process, particular as spokespersons/advocates for policy positions by political parties and whether their personal political alignment should be apparent or kept private lest the influence church members into supporting one party over against another.

I am interested. What do you think about the role pastors should or should not play. So as not to influence the discussion, I will post my personal position on this issue in a day or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment