Saturday, May 22, 2010

STAYCATION


It's Saturday morning and I have just had four consecutive vacation days. Today will be the fifth. Uninterrupted, I might add. Spent less than $75, which is a miracle. Breakfast out three mornings and taking Dianne to dinner at Friendly's. Can't remember the last time I got off that cheaply for five vacation days.

My daughter Christi said that I had a "staycation." Took vacation, staying at home, doing nothing in particular and doing it on my schedule. "Sometimes those are the best vacations," she added. You know what--my eldest daughter is absolutely right.

I know what's running through your mind. Well, what did you do? The first two days, basically nothing. Just puttered around. Didn't even have a "to do" list (or a "not to do" list, for that matter. The second night I stayed up to "watch" my Tigers play via Gameday on the computer. (They were playing in Oakland.) That's after I slept the early evening on the living room couch.
The third day, Thursday, I "accomplished" some things. Began reading Sue Grafton's U is for Undertow, took my wife grocery shopping, got a haircut, and watched another West Coast game on the computer (this time late afternoon from 3:30-6:30). Today, I actually did some work - on our family budget, thinning out the piles in our guest room/sorting room, and cleaning out the garage. I actually visited my first yard sale since last summer. Barbecued steaks. And, oh yes, talked with Jake and Christi on the phone. Tonight, the Phillies vs the Red Sox on the tube, and the Tigers-Dodgers afterward on the computer.

Today? A yard sale, moving stuff from the garage to the basement, taking Dianne out for a milk shake. and praying about tomorrow's service.

My point in all this. I had a ball. I may take another staycation soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment