Tuesday, May 11, 2010

WHERE WOULD YOU GO?

Tammy Gitt recently wrote a post in her blog living3368 that I found stimulating. Here are some excerpts:

"Moving around in space and time can be tricky business. If I go back to change horrendous wrongs in history, will a greater wrong emerge? Or will everything be OK? If I make minor changes in my personal timeline, will it alter my life drastically or in small nearly imperceptible ways?

"That’s the kind of thing I’ve been thinking as I worked on my response for this post. In the end, I decided that no matter what time or place I went to visit, I would be unable to change what is in the historical record. That means I can’t go back to stop Hitler, warn Julius Caesar or stop an assassin from killing Archduke Francis Ferdinand. I can’t tell MLK to stay in the hotel room, JFK to put the

" ... On a lighter note, I can’t go back to tell the Atlanta Falcons just how colossal a mistake they would be making by trading a young quarterback from Mississippi to Green Bay or warn the makers of Ishtar that their film would be a disaster.

Having said that, here’s my list of places to visit (in random order) which is subject to change given the whim of a particular day:

• The Titanic moments before it sank (assuming of course that I could time-travel myself off before drowning in the icy-cold Atlantic). The goal? To solve forever the mystery of where the captain was when the ship went down.

• The Globe theater in the early 1600s to see Shakespeare’s Hamlet performed for the first time.

• While I’m on an arts tangent, let’s add a Billie Holliday concert, the first time Silent Night was ever sung and a meeting of the Inklings.

top up on the convertible or Lincoln stay home instead of going to the theater.

My response to Tammy's post read:

"I think there are a couple of places I would go … back to the birth moments of each of my four children, perhaps to a meeting of the Inklings as you noted yourself above. I think I would like to have been in the crowd at Gettysburg when Abraham Lincoln spoke those words, “Four score and seven years ago …”

I would like to have been on that “mount” when Jesus began to say “Blessed are the poor in Spirit …:

In each of these cases, there is nothing I would change. They are things I’d like to witness.

Most of all, I think that the place that fascinates me most is where I will be in the next 24 hours, armed with a prayer I learned from Jill Briscoe, “Lord, help me to be the blessing that I am blessed to be.”

So here's the question for you. WHERE WOULD YOU GO IN HISTORY IF YOU COULD NAVIGATE THAT TIME/TRAVEL THING?

Read Tammy's original post

No comments:

Post a Comment