Thursday, August 19, 2010

TELL ME YOU'RE SURPRISED - BRETT FARVE IS BACK

The big sports news today is the Brett Farve is back in camp, signed on for another season with the Minnesota Vikings.  Tell me you're surprised.  I confess this "I'm retired/I'm unretired" drama is getting a little tedious.  The best thing about it is that it has bumped LeBron James from the top of the sportscasts.

There is no doubt that Brett is a superb quarterback.  Except when he goes on an interception binge (generally because he's trying to win games all by himself), he's definitely one of the men you want in that spot when the chips are down and the going has gotten tough. (How's that for mixing cliches?")  He lost a little of my respect as as a person when after his first retirement from the Packers, he tried to come back and bump out a man who had been waiting patiently for several years in Brett's shadow for his turn to the lead that team.  (I have great respect for the Packer front office that just said NO!)  He seemed lost and overhyped in his season with the Jets.  But last year, he took a great Vikings team and almost made them Super Bowl champs.  There is no doubt that he is a superb quarterback.

Some people think he should surrender to his age and let younger men take the helm. As a 59 year old pastor heading towards older age but still believing I have great usefulness as a leader; I have no sympathy for such ageist blatherings.  It seems obvious that the Vikings players wanted him to be their leader.

So Brett, best wishes.  Forgive me if I don't put a lot of stock in this morning's announcement "This is definitely my last year."  Have a great season.  Have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment