Friday, January 21, 2011

TWO WEEKS IN A LIFE

The last two weeks of my life  have been extremely intense. An already packed schedule became almost gridlock between some pastoral emergencies, a pesky computer virus, and time correcting mistakes you made because you were overly busy. There has been incredible reward, as well–helping an older couple navigate a frightening medical emergency; coaching time with two men – one still in high school, one in his forties, who are responding to God’s call to ministry; listening to a dear friend as he sorted out his future priorities; preaching a sermon that prompted someone to step out in faith; teaching a workshop on traditional churches learning to truly communicate with unchurched neighbors; assisting my neighbors in a budget discussion at a meeting for our school district; sharing lunch with my sister and father on the occasion of his 81st birthday.

I am simply reminded of God’s promise in Jeremiah 29:11.   “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
And there are the words of what is my life verse in Romans 8:28: “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”

The over-scheduling and accompanying gridlock that produced weeks far too long are items I, like others, need to correct.  But thankfully, God is more than capable of working through our frailties.

No comments:

Post a Comment