Friday, August 5, 2011

FANTASY BASEBALL - LESSONS I AM LEARNING

In checking the statistics of this blog, I have found that the most viewed post I have written (911 times in 16 months to be exact) has been FANTASY BASEBALL.  I wrote this post as my second season of pursuing this pastime was about to begin. I had rapidly expanded my previous one team in a MLB.Com league to six teams (the MLB maximum of five and one is CBS Sports). Then earlier this year I wrote of my joy that had arisen as I began season three.  (By the way, I had a second season champion - DUNNS TIGER CATS).  In that post I shared this reflection:

"Over the years I have coached many real teams in baseball and softball (as well as basketball and soccer).  I think there’s a sports managerial gene in my DNA that compels to do so.  Fantasy baseball, however, doesn’t require me to match schedules with a roster of real players with real jobs, or to endure the elements, or to endure parents of players who think their little darling deserves more playing time."

As season three has progressed, I have learned some tricks of the trade.

(1) Pay careful attention to INJURY REPORTS so that you don't get surprised by an assignment to the Disabled List that costs you production in a particular line-up spot,  (That has happened to me with Hanley Ramirez, Shane Victorino, and Rickie Weeks so far this year.  Weeks removal and my inattention cost my league leading Landisville Sluggers an unexpected second loss in a row.)

(2) Check the scheduled opponents for your pitching staffs and know how they usually match up against that team.  Your preferred starting team may have a great ERA and record, but against that particular team they may be abysmal.

(3) Big-names may be a bust - Ichiro comes to mind.  I haven't dropped him but he has been on the bench all season.

(4) Watch the emerging rookies.  Not all managers note them and if you get them early, even if you put them on the bench, they're on your roster when they hit their stride.

(5) Don't be afraid to add and drop players, but especially with pitching staffs - don't be in a hurry.


No comments:

Post a Comment