Sunday, November 27, 2011

SHOULD TEBOW DIAL BACK HIS JESUS TALK?

When Tim Tebow was in college he was a sports media darling, but now that he has become an NFL quarterback, the media has spent a lot time and energy beating up on Tebow. Not so much for his somewhat un-NFL-like quarterbacking skills; but for his very obvious devotion to Jesus Christ. Last week Jake Plummer grabbed some headlines with his critiquing of the level of Tim's expressing of his faith.

Former Bronco quarterback Jake Plummer (2003-2006) thinks Tebow should make some changes: "...regardless of whether I wish he’d just shut up after a game and go hug his teammates, I think he’s a winner and I respect that about him,” said Plummer. “I think that when he accepts the fact that we know that he loves Jesus Christ, then I think I’ll like him a little better. I don’t hate him because of that, I just would rather not have to hear that every single time he takes a good snap or makes a good handoff."

When I read Plummers' comments I think that Jake just doesn't get Tebow.  (Nor does John Elway nor much of the sporting world.) His faith goes far deeper than painting scripture on his eyeblack in college.  His whole worldview is rooted in a genuine love for Jesus Christ. It is also grounded in a worldview that says faith is not a private matter and that football is not a matter of eternal significance.  This video (which the poster inaccurately titled "Tebow SLAMS  Plummer") gives us a clear answer as to who Tim Tebow believes himself to be and how that impacts he as an NFL quarterback.


Personally, I hope that Tim maintains his spiritual integrity and lives by the perspecive described on tbe video. It would probably be a good career move to do otherwise, but we the NFL and our nation would profit from aquaterback that accepts his role model role and tries to model a faith with integrity. So what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment