Monday, November 7, 2011

BREAKFAST DOES NOT EXIST

A few days ago you received a post with this same title.  It had, however, only one sentence. Now if you clicked on it they would say this post does not exist. I took it down.  It was accidentally published when I clicked a wrong button while writing a first draft.  I actually did not discover the error until my Facebook Page informed that I had published a new post on LIFE MATTERS called "Breakfast."

Are you confused yet?

For the record, here is the opening line which WILL reappear when I finally publish that post: "My favorite meal of the day is breakfast.  That's no secret to people who know me very well."

Not all that profound, but that's because I "spoke" (published) before I was ready.

How often have you spoken before you were ready.  I sometimes refer to this as having "your mouth in motion before your mind is in gear."  Very dangerous.  In real life we cannot always "unpublish."  It's out there.  It's attached to you.  People form opinions on what you have said and this is sometimes damning evidence that we spend a long time recovering from.

Jesus has some very disturbing words recorded in Matthew 12:36. "But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken."

Ouch!

In an age of email, tweet, sound byte, talk shows, etc. a whole lot of things are said in the heat of the moment.  Too much of it should not have been spoken.  (I tell the kids, "Don't upchuck on Facebook" and we have developed an expression for such unhelpful "shares."  It's called Facechucking.)

Are all of your words worth being spoken?  

(C) 2011 by Stephen L Dunn


No comments:

Post a Comment