Saturday, August 18, 2012

SATURDAY SPORTS SHORTS

It's Saturday. The Tigers-Orioles game has not started.  I was surfing the net observing the culture.  Just some random thoughts.  Not earth-shattering, but perhaps you'll find them interesting.


The best quote from the Olympics came from Gabby Douglas:

"What's wrong with my hair? I just simply gelled it back, put some clips it and put it in a bun. Are you kidding me? I just made history? And you're focusing on my hair? I just want to say we're all beautiful inside out. Nothing is going to change."

The baseball season is coming in its final weeks and with the new wild card options, pennant races seem tighter than ever.  There are some very surprising teams still in the hunt for one of those cherished play off spots: Pittsburgh Pirates, Washington Nationals, Baltimore Orioles are the three that seem most prominent.  There are some ones we expected to be there: the Yankees, Tigers, Rays, Rangers, Angels, White Sox, Braves, Giants and Dodgers.  The Cincinnati Reds have endured the injury challenges of this lengthy season and are of this writing the best team in baseball.  The Phillies have pretty much died on the vine and the Miami Marlins surrendered to a season-ending fire sale.  The most controversial demise, although they still are kicking and still claim the spotlight on ESPN, are the Boston Red Sox.

The big question right now is "who should be fired--Bobby Valentine or the team?"  Frankly, it's the team that is not performing; but it's easier to fire the coach.  Despite their protestations of support, you really have to wonder what the Red Sox management will ultimately do.

Now the dumbest thing I heard this week came from Dallas, where a Cowboys' fan is suing the team because she burned her tush on a dark bench that was out in the sun at the team's practice facility.  My thought was, "Why didn't you just stand up when you realized it was hot?"  It's not the first dumb thing I have heard from that football organization with its egocentric owner Jerry Jones.  The dumbest thing I might here next is that they settled out of court.



No comments:

Post a Comment