Monday, August 14, 2017

MONDAY MORNING REFLECTIONS - I'VE GOTTEN POLITICAL

BY STEVE DUNN

It troubles me at time that so much I am writing these days is of a political nature. Hopefully from a Christian perspective, but political nonetheless.  But this troubling lessons when I consider how important having a political position is.  I do not always agree with Rachel Held Evans but what she has written recently on her Facebook page speaks eloquently to what is in my heart.  Again, I do not support every item she advocates, but her point is both well-taken and needful.  (You don't need to comment.  Just read and reflect and come to the answers God lays upon your heart.)


And now from Rachel ....
You don’t like that I’ve “gotten political,” huh?
If saying it’s wrong to mock people with disabilities makes me political, then so be it.
If rejecting the notion that demeaning, groping, insulting, and assaulting women is “just how men are” makes me political, then so be it.
If supporting a free press makes me political, then so be it.
If speaking out when religious and ethnic minorities are targeted with misinformation campaigns that have dramatically increased hate crimes against them makes me political, then so be it.
If believing the president of the United States is not above the rule of law, or the most basic ethical accountability, makes me political, then so be it.
If refusing to stand by as desperate refugee families, including many children, are turned away from safety based on misinformation and fear makes me political, then so be it.
If calling my senators to oppose a healthcare bill that would likely increase the abortion rate and definitely leave my friends with special needs kids bankrupt and desperate makes me political, then so be it.
If expecting the president of the United States to behave with some semblance of decorum and decency, even on Twitter, makes me political, then so be it.
If getting angry when Christian leaders shrug off sexual assault, lying, racism, bullying, cruelty to the vulnerable, and unapologetic greed and self-aggrandizement because it gets them the judge they want or the power they crave makes me political, then so be it.
If turning over tables when Christians sing hymns in honor of this administration's ethno-nationalist agenda makes me political, then so be it.
You don’t like that I’ve gotten political?
I don’t like that the future of the Republic and the integrity of the American Church has been so glibly handed over to a man who has no respect for either.
You’re damn right I’ve gotten political.
And even if you remain silent, you have too.

No comments:

Post a Comment