Monday, January 29, 2018

MONDAY MORNING REFLECTIONS: DYING IN THE DARKNESS




BY STEVE DUNN


       In America today there is much furor, debate, and suspicion of press coverage--especially coverage by the mainstream media of the President of the United States.  Mr. Trump is constantly rebutting what is said about him with the with the dismissive of "fake news."  And many others in America dismiss the news outlets supporting the President as creating "fake news."  We now know there is even a growing industry that proudly claims that it creates fake news (the reason for which defies me).  Many people simply embrace the concept that the best news is negative news and others embrace the idea that unless the news is positive about their side--it should not be reported at all.

      The Washington Post carries this banner "Democracy Dies in Darkness" which I understand goes back to the days when Woodward and Bernstein exposed the darkside of President Nixon.  I know my quoting this banner will cause some to dismiss what I say declaring that I have a bias.

     I do have a bias. I have a bias--it is a bias towards the light.  In a democracy, especially the democracy that makes me thankful to be an American and causes me to pray God's blessing on this nation; darkness--hiddenness--secrets--manipulation of the truth--outright lies are the enemies of democracy.  And whoever would want to hide the truth from the American people, especially for their own political purposes undermines our democracy.

      My bias, however, does not come from a political position. It comes from my faith and from the Word of God.  Let me quote just a few verses that inform my bias:

This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. - John 3.19

 When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” -  John 8.12

“You are the light of the world (meaning Jesus' disciples). A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."  - Matthew 5.14-16

    May we always embrace the light and drive back the darkness.






No comments:

Post a Comment