Tuesday, July 21, 2009

TURNBERRY AND WATSON



I was traveling with a mission team last week. Our final evening we pampered ourselves with a night at the Hampton Inn at the Albuquerque Airport. Comfortable beds, air-conditioning, cable TV, hot showers were among the things we longed for--particularly cable TV. My roommate Ethan and I switched on the tube and were greeted with the image of the magnificent lighthouse at the golf course at Turnberry, England.

The British Open was underway. Long before we arrived at Albuquerque we learned that Tiger had missed the cut and had already rushed back to Florida. Who would be in the lead? Perhaps local central Pennsylvania favorite Jim Furyk or Ethan's favorite, Sergio Garcia. Imagine our surprise when we found Dr. Tom Watson at the top of the leader board.

At age 59, Watson was a highly unlikely candidate for this position. In fact, when our plane landed in Houston for a three-hour lay-over, we learned that Watson was still on top at the end of 54 holes. He was the oldest man to be in this spot since World War II. Watson had become the darling of the media and the sentimental favorite to the British fans and Americans alike. Even the other golfers found themselves quietly rooting for a man who continues to have the passion and dedication to golf where he still aspires to win on the PGA Tour when many of his colleagues have moved on to the Senior Tour.

I relate to Watson because I am only a year behind in life. My golf on its best days and in my wildest dreams will only share a fairway with him as an act of mercy.But in my calling as a pastor, I have no desire to retire--my desire to see people reconciled to God and my church to be a congregation of irresistable influence for Christ only grows with each passing year.

Passion plus dedication equals excellence.

No comments:

Post a Comment