Sunday, March 28, 2010

MONDAY MORNING MEDITATIONS -JOHNNY HART, GK CHESTERTON, THE EASTER BUNNY, AND THE FINAL FOUR




We are midway through a series at church on "Bad News--Good News--Best News." Late cartoonist Johnny Hart summed this up a few years ago in his comic strip B.C. As Holy Week begins, let us remember that these seven days celebrate the most life-changing events in human history. In a world where life is so "daily", we need to remember that eternity rules!

Then there's this man-G.K. Chesterton - an Anglo-Catholic of the previous century and a contemporary of C.S. Lewis. Many years ago a newspaper editor wrote to Chesterton asking what he thought was wrong with the world. Chesterton wrote back a terse commentary, "I am."
As Holy Week begins I am reminded that Christ had to come into the world and die on that cross because of my guilt. Who put him on that cross? Not the Romans, the Jewish leaders, the crowds - I did.

Then there's that darned Easter Bunny, that sugar-terrorist threatening the lives of our obese and diabetic children. I know that's a bit over the edge, but as a 59 year old diabetic, I know how hard it has become to resist that sugar. Too many childhood and adolescent years where no one helped me lay down a healthy pattern. Instead, I am still a chocoholic and donut-aholic and you get the point. I really wonder if a little more Empty Tomb isn't better for our children than those Cadbury Eggs.

And now three more basketball games Easter Saturday and Monday and the NCAA tournament will be over. Not one of my Final Four predictions made it--Ohio State, Kentucky and Kansas State all bit the dust this weekend. Villanova barely got out of the gate. Now it's Duke, Michigan State, Butler and West Virginia. Big Ten fans forgive me - GO BUTLER!

No comments:

Post a Comment