Thursday, March 18, 2010

ACCEPTING SICKNESS, MARCH MADNESS, BELIEF IN GOD, TIGER'S BACK: THURSDAY MORNING THOUGHTS

It is Thursday morning and I am home sick. Sinuses draining, a bit of a temperature, headache that come and goes, desire to sleep about every two hours. Thia was already my day off, so I was going to just stay home and be sick. It'll be a good excuse to watch March Madness on TV. But sick bloggers (or should I say--bloggers who are sick) can't quite stop blogging at any time, so I am keeping myself occupied by blogging (or at least until I fall asleep at the computer.)

My Buckeyes don't play today but I am looking forward the Butler game at 5:00. The scrappy little Bulldogs from Indy are generally the team I root for when OSU is not on the court.

Reading a fascinating book called The Forgotten Way of Jesus by Francis Leeman, who is a part of the New Wineskins Network of churches within the Churches of God, General Conference (my own denominational stream). Leeman says something very insightful:

"Most people believe in God. In fact, almost everybody. We don't all believe the same thing about God, but nearly all of us believe that someone is at home in the universe. Some have thought it through and have good reasons for their belief; others believe just because the thought that we are completely on our own is just too terrifying to consider."

Atheists are a dying breed in the spirituality of the postmodern world. Christians can stop worrying about Stephen Hawkings. For those of us who love Jesus Christ and would like to share His story with others, it's nice to know we can at least have a conversation with people about God and faith.

Tiger's coming back for the Masters. I find I agree with Christine Brennan from USA Today: "... based on what he said and how he said it(at his famous news conference),if Woods wouldn't be gone the whole year, or at least a good portion of it, to work on himself, his marriage and his family. That seemed admirable. He really might miss a major or two or four. This was serious stuff. Perhaps he really was a changed man." It seems now that Wood's contrition was really a PR opportunity. As much as I have celebrated his fist pumps, there is a fist pump mentality here that makes me think Woods; went through this process out of necessity to keep his position and control rather than out of contrition. It may be hard to enjoying the golfing mastery, when I carry this sense of his arrogance. I hope contrition wins. True life change will bring Tiger more happiness than another Green Jacket.

1 comment:

  1. what's the new wineskins network? I don't like being out of the loop. haha.

    ReplyDelete