Tuesday, September 28, 2010

TO SAVE A LIFE

Several weeks ago our student ministry shared the movie To Save a Life.  Recently I read a commentary on the movie by Jeffrey Meyer: Meyer is a pastor in Madison WI and writes a blog called  livelifetogeher

Jeffrey writes:
Here are 3 quick observations I have been reflecting on today as I continue to process what I experienced last night:

1) Every single person matters!
How many times do I walk past people and not take the time to look into their eyes? Many times, I choose who I will hang out with, who I will spend time with, who I will invest in. In spite of this ugly tendency, every single person is precious to God. They should also be precious to me! "For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus!" Ephesians 2:10

2) One person can make an eternal difference!
How often do we underestimate our contribution? How many times have we said, "I can't make a difference?" Overwhelmed by the scope of the challenge in front of us, we are petrified into inactivity. what if we just obeyed the promptings that God nudges us with, one prompting at a time, and left the results up to God? "For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things He planned for us long ago." Eph. 2:10

3) Every moment is ripe with eternal significance.
No "good thing that God has planned for us to do" is insignificant. There are no little things from a Kingdom of God perspective! A warm smile, an invitation, eye contact, taking time to listen, dropping someone a note, turning off the TV and really giving attention....none of these are small.....each could Save a Life." We just never know what moments are ripe with opportunity. All I know is that if God prepared it for me to do, then I ought to do it!

All three of these thoughts require change in us. And change is never easy or without consequences. But, as Jake said in my favorite quote, "What's the point of all of this if we don't let it change us?"

Great question, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment