Tuesday, March 20, 2018

BACK SPASMS


BY STEVE DUNN

A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need.-Proverbs 17.7 (NLT)

A little over a week ago I awakened around 6 a.m. with a soreness in back.  I was going to work from home that day so I wasn't rushing around but by 8:30 my upper back was locked in spasms to the level that I was rapidly becoming incapacitated.  

Dianne and I operate with one car as a matter of both simplifying our life style and saving significant money.  She is a substitute school teacher and was more than 40 miles away.  I live only three blocks from my doctor but he couldn't see me until 3:15.  I tried to tough it out but by 9:30 I was in even worse shape.

After some phone calls to my busy, local friends; I finally reached Alan, someone who has become a good friend in just the last 2-3 years.  Even though he had a family obligation at 11:30, he came to my rescue.  Alan drove me to urgent care for diagnosis and a shot, waited the 30 or so minutes I was there; then drove me across town to my pharmacy--and then home.  Alan even lingered upon my arrival until I got through the door in case I fell or dropped my keys.  Soon I took medicine and climbed into bed to sleep off the pain.

This was the act of a friend.  I don't know what I would have done without him. I am glad I didn't have to find out.  (Two other friends who I called who were not available, called the next day to make sure I was okay and didn't need more help.  I appreciate them as well.)

The Beatles used to sing "I get by with a little help from my friends."   A good sentiment but Ringo used to add "I get high with a little help with my friends" which is actually a definition of a bad friend.

Jesus said: There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. (John 15.13 NLT)

Donald McCullough, commenting on this has written: "When we consider the blessings of God—the gifts that add beauty and joy to our lives, that enable us to keep going through stretches of boredom and even suffering-friendship is very near the top."

And in Ecclesiastes 3:9-12 we read: "Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up. Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."

One of the saddest "places" to be is where one does not have friends.

I thank God for my friends.  I pray I will always be a good friend to them as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment