Tuesday, March 13, 2018

OUT OF MY LEAGUE


BY STEVE DUNN

I am nearing my 67th  birthday. God has given me an abundance of varied experiences, experiences that have blessed me with a wealth of knowledge. In a number of areas I am considered an expert. Most of my adult life has been spent in leadership roles and people look to me for both discerning judgment and visionary insight. As a pastor I am often entrusted with the most delicate of matters and depended upon to be an anchor in troubled times.

There are times, however, when I am simply out of my league.

Why drivers insist in driving in the "passing" lane when they are not passing, and especially when many vehicles are continuously passing them on the right.

Mechanical Anything Even though I can grasp the intricacies of theological arguments and can analyze the strengths and weaknesses of church systems, simple mechanical systems tend to confound me.  Even with a diagram in front me and tools in hand, I can grow intimidated by the first thing that doesn't "fix."  When our children were young, my wife assembled the swing sets.

Discussions with people of hard core political beliefs.  Maybe it's because they are rarely interested in discussion, just affirmation that they are right.  It's probably because I know I myself am not always right and my purpose of discussion is to at least get them to open their minds.  I guess it's better to say I am out of my league with people of totally closed minds.

Negative people.  Although I know that we are imperfect people prone to sin, I believe that without hope human existence is without purpose.  As a Christian I believe in the potential of redemption in all human beings and the life-altering potential of God's love.  Actually, I believe a negative spirit is a sin of particular toxicity  in human community.

But one things rescues me from these inadequacies. "But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."  

Any true hope of righteousness is beyond me by my own human efforts, but the promise of Christ balances that out.  I just need to let him live in and through me.



No comments:

Post a Comment