Saturday, February 6, 2010

'ISN'T IT PRETTY?" Early Morning in a Snowstorm

It's 3:45 in the morning, a time I am often awake to stay awake. Saturday morning to be exact in the midst of a snowstorm that The Weather Channel says should last for in my location for 10-11 more hours before ending. It is being described as an historic storm of epic proportions. They are calling it the Winter Powerhouse, anticipating in some nearby locations as much as three feet of snow. The snow pile on my back yard table looks over a foot at this point.

For years I lived in northwest Ohio in an area that was the frequent recipient of the "lake effect snows" of the Great Lakes. At times we could have daily snows of 1-2 inches, which would begin to mount into feet as the cold climate rarely allowed the snow pack to melt. Grumbling about the snow was a favorite past time. One lady in my office (who seemed to love the snow) enjoyed agitating us by saying "Isn't it pretty?"

My wife Dianne would agree. Despite PPL's new rates, she turned on all the outdoor lights, opened all the blinds, turned off the indoor lights, and simply savored the serenity of this snow storm. Since the dawn still promises more snow and we have no plans to leave the house until later in the day; her snowbound heaven will persist, at least until the first kids decide to try tramping through our yard.

I knocked off from work early yesterday first experiencing the madness and mayhem of a supermarket on the Friday before a snowstorm and the Superbowl. A lot of money changed hands and a lot of milk, bread, and snacks went out the door. Then on to the drug store to get a prescription that would be needed precisely when I would be snowed in, followed by an impulse trip to another grocery and to Blockbuster. The storm had not even begun but people were driving with super caution as if they might have a major accident at every intersection or else slowed because they were constantly on their cell phones telling people how crazy it was. The gridlock certainly raised my blood pressure and aggravated my temper. I was very glad to get in the door of my house. "I am not leaving until tomorrow!" was my announcement.

There is something about a snowstorm that reminds us of how little control we really have over the universe. We have to stop everything, and that often is a reminder of our incredible busyness as we have to accept that we are going to slow down and settle in whether we like it or not. There is something that reminds us that being prepared for these interruptions is a wise thing. (I really would hate to be snowbound and run out of my comfort food at the same time.)

And there is something about a snowstorm that reminds us to savor the beauty. A fresh, unblemished landscape in all its serenity and symmetry can bring great peace to the human spirit. Sort of like the Holy Spirit when it touches our life and blots out all the gray and grime of our accumulating sin.

So I am going to enjoy this snowstorm - and hope that I don't lose cable.

1 comment:

  1. May your day be blessed!
    It is also pretty in the mountains.
    I cannot help but think of the people up the hill who have risked their lives to make them busier today at the ski resort. But this is enjoyment for them.
    Like you, I will be snowbound until the evening services sound their call and we gather to worship the God who washes us white as snow.
    Enjoy His reminder today my friend.
    - Doug

    ReplyDelete