Friday, August 21, 2009

A VERY POOR ROUND OF GOLF



I played my worst round of golf in more than a year last Friday. It was on a course I really like with some very good friends. But the golf was a mess. I won't tell you my score except that I had six triple bogies on the front nine and my best scores of the day were two bogies on par three's. Normally I am a pretty fair putter, but ran a string of three puts that made me wonder if I even know how to read a line to the hole. This summer I've finally started hitting the fairway on my tee shots (long a bane to my golfing existence) but I found maybe four fairways of the eighteen that I stepped onto. And this summer I finally learned how to hit out of sand trap (after only 30 years), but today ... well, you have a pretty good idea.

Why do I play golf? Because I ENJOY IT. It only takes sinking a 50 foot putt (which I have done on more than one occasion) or dropping one on the green next to pin to have a chance at par to get me back on the course. Some of us take a lot of pleasure out of very small things.

So despite my bad round (and there have been a couple in the last month), I will return to the course with good friends (oh yes, that's my strongest reason for playing golf--the good friends I have been able to spend some quality time with, times THEY particularly enjoy because they can generally count on at least beating me.

Are we having fun yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment