Monday, September 16, 2013

MONDAY MORNING REFLECTIONS - WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU TURN OFF THE NEWS?



 BY STEVE DUNN

I still like a morning paper.  After years of travel and more than one stay in a hotel, I have found USA TODAY to be my paper of choice.  But I have a confession to make.  After scanning the articles on the front page and perhaps following the lead article to the second, I quickly turn to Section C.  If you read USA TODAY, you know that's the sports section.  

I can spend quite a long time pouring over those pages, especially during baseball season.  I even read the columns--such as that of Christine Brennan.  I love the statistics and the human interest stories found there.

And then I turn to ... the Suduko puzzle.

I almost never watch network or even cable news anymore--unless there is a major event or a major storm that I am watching unfold.  I still love to watch Jim Cantrell bending in the wind ocean-side during a hurricane's arrival.

But the news, I just don't get that excited anymore.  Maybe it's the incredible bias of most news organizations, who seem more about presenting a political position that honest, unbiased news reporting.  I mean,the  Al Jazeera TV news channel on American cable television? What part of "beat up on the West" don't you see?

News cycles come and go -- sometimes taking something small and manufacturing it into a life-threatening crisis.  Would Mylie Cryus really have been such a big deal if we just ignored her foolish adolescent self-promotion?

Do I sound shallow?  Or naive?  Or just weary of the manufacturing of "news" that often ignores the true values needed by humanity and makes human imperfection a punishable offense.

Just reflecting today. Maybe this wasn't worth your time to read this.  But then, you can always delete this blog from your newsfeed.


No comments:

Post a Comment